Philharmonia Conductor –
North Sound Youth Symphony is currently seeking an experienced youth orchestra conductor with passion for classical music and working with young people.
North Sound Youth Symphony, in cooperation with Western Washington University Department of Music, is based in Bellingham, WA. NSYS serves musicians ages 9 to 22, in the greater Bellingham/Whatcom County area. NSYS offers two performance levels: Symphony for advanced students and Philharmonia for intermediate level musicians who wish to have a full orchestral experience.
NSYS is seeking candidates who have:
- A degree in orchestral conducting, music education or music performance or its equivalent;
- An enthusiasm for music education and for music-making with young musicians 3. Experience conducting youth instrumental music ensembles 4. A commitment and demonstrated capacity to working with students of multiple ages, particularly those in middle school and upper elementary grades. 5. A strong working knowledge of orchestral literature and a willingness to choose repertoire based on the skill level and the composition of the ensemble.
Responsibilities of the Philharmonia Conductor include:
- Serving as Philharmonia Conductor for NSYS during rehearsals and performances. The season consists of three sessions of 9-10 two-hour rehearsals on Monday evenings. Each trimester will conclude with at least one concert performance;
- Working with the other Conductor(s) and the Board of Directors of NSYS to establish the yearly calendar of rehearsals and concerts, according to the availability and suitability of facilities;
- Energetically recruiting musicians for the program, including through outreach to local music educators;
- Attending and evaluating acceptance and placement auditions;
- Selecting music for NSYS by working with the other Conductor(s) to choose music for all NSYS concert programs. Arranging for music procurement and rental if necessary
- Working cooperatively with other NSYS Conductor(s), staff and music student interns for the benefit of the students in all NSYS ensembles;
- Promoting good public relations and assisting with publicity on behalf of NSYS, as well as performing other such services as may be mutually agreed upon to promote NSYS goals.
Application Procedure: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references. Candidates are also invited to submit a video conducting sample. All materials may be submitted via email to Kate Destler, North Sound Youth Symphony President at NSYSBoard@gmail.com.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled. We plan to conduct interviews in early August.