The Philharmonia is for students in 5th grade or older who have two years of private instruction or commensurate school ensemble participation. The Philharmonia is an excellent place for those musicians who wish to experience the full symphony experience but may not be ready to play at the level of the Symphony. The Philharmonia helps students to grow and challenge themselves musically by improving their playing abilities, stylistic understanding and sight reading abilities and prepares them for eventual membership in the NSYS Symphony. Some NSYS concerts feature a musical selection which combines the members of the Symphony and Philharmonia in joint performance, creating an extraordinary large-ensemble sound and providing a mentoring experience between the older and younger players.
Mary Marshall, Director
Mary Marshall is an active teacher, adjudicator and performer and has been director of Squalicum High School Orchestras since 2018. She also teaches Guitar, Unified Music, and 5 th Grade Strings in the Bellingham School District. She graduated from Western Washingon University with a BA in Music Education studying with Walter Schwede and Margaret Brink. Previously, she has directed orchestra and music programs in the Port Angeles School District, Ferndale School District and Lynden School District. She has played with the Port Angeles Symphony, the Wenatchee Valley Symphony, Everett Community Symphony and WWU Symphony & Chamber Orchestras. While in college she performed with the “Collegium Musicum” Baroque ensemble and various chamber ensembles.
Audition Dates and Requirements
- Auditions by appointment, in the Lower Level 2 of the WWU Performing Arts Center. To schedule an audition, please e-mail: email@example.com
- (See Calendar)
Philharmonia Audition Requirements:
- A 1-2 minute solo of the student’s choice;
- From the 2023 WMEA All-State Repertoire (Click here for strings; Click here for wind/percussion instruments)
- Track 1 (Scale) at a tempo that is comfortable to you;
- Your choice of Track 2, Track 3 OR Track 4 (student’s choice) at a tempo that is comfortable to you.